Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Over-Complicating God???

For the last five months I have been trying to finish the book "Searching For God Knows What" by Donald Miller. It has been a great read that challenges the way I think. I have about four more chapters and then I am done!!! Today I was reading and found this interesting...

"I think it is more safe and more beautiful and more true to believe that when a person dies he will go and be with God because, on earth, he had come to know Him, that he had a relational encounter with God not unlike meeting a friend or lover or having a father or taking a bride, and that in order to engage God he gave up everything, repented and changed his life, as this sort of extreme sacrifice is what is required if true love it to grow. We would expect nothing less in a marriage why should we accept anything less in becoming unified with Christ?" (Miller, p. 156)

Prior to this quote Miller is discussing how people believe that one person can be more Holy or more loved by God because they know their bible inside and out, or went to seminary, or followed all the rules. It made me think are why not over-complicating God? I mean we as humans are setting up all these do's and dont's when really who's place is to judge man other than God? This is why I am thankful that I don't belong to a denominational church. The more I see the way different denominations do things and claim that they do it right and other churches do it wrong makes me sick. Isn't there supposed to be unity among all believers? Should a non-Christian student of mine walk into a church and be yelled at by an old women who is mad because the kid is wearing a hat in God's building? Aren't all buildings God's building? Isn't He the creator of everything? Shouldn't we be thankful that this teen stepped inside the church not whether he is wearing a hat or not. Gosh! This stuff gets me worked up. Jesus sacrificed His life and here we are fighting over right and wrong...we are ALL sinners, why don't we accept that and try to show Jesus' love to those around us? I mean actions do speak louder than words right?

Just some thoughts...back to my book.

No comments: