Monday, April 23, 2007

Life and Death...Death and Life

I have been reading Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller for some time now. You see I am really bad about finishing books. I was given this book for Christmas. My dilemma is that I start reading one book and stop reading it to read another. I have countless books with markers in them of there I stopped. Anywho, last night I read something interesting...

"Adam and Eve began to die, not only physically, but in their souls, too, because they had been separated from God. It makes sense that if a plant is separated from the sun, it dies, and that if people are separated from God, they die. And so now it feels as if we live on a planet where there is just a little bit of water left, poisoned as it is, and we all are trying to get it and drink so we can stay alive. But what we really need is God." (Miller, p. 109-110)

When I first read this through I thought well don't be silly we will die without water. Just as a plant without sun would die so would we if we didn't drink some good ole H2O. But when I really started to think about it what we really do need is God. How often do I tell myself that I can do this on my own? Or tell God that I don't need Him in that area of my life? But the truth is when we separate ourselves from God we die. Maybe not in a physical sense but sure in our souls we do. When I distance myself from God I can tell there is an emptiness inside of me that can't fully be filled by anything other than God. I have been wrestling with the term "obedience" lately. What does it look like to fully obey God in all aspects of my life? How can I please Him with everything I do because everything I do is in obeying Him? I tend to become worked up in the day to day things of this world, becoming overwhelmed with so much to do in life, but realistically just as Miller says, all we need is God. Just things to ponder.

1 comment:

Jen Anderson said...

ptl, for Donald Miller.

may i read it when you're finished?