Monday, January 07, 2008

The Election At Hand

I am going to admit that yes, I voted for George W. in the last presidential election. I thought it was the right thing to do because I was a Christian. Well, my friends I will admit I made a mistake. I don't think I am alone in thinking that. The more I think about politics the more I think of separation of church and state. Many politicians claim to be Christian just to get the vote because apparently the United States is a Christian country...last time I checked not everyone here is worshiping Jesus so I don't know about that one.

I don't want to offend anyone who may be reading this however it really makes me sick to think that by voting democrat you are sinning. I have been around numerous Christian circles and honestly the jokes that are cracked against the democratic candidates make me question how Christ-like we as believers are even being.

Its hard for me to hear that the democratic candidates don't value life. I was talking with a good friend of mine and she made a good point, how does George W. value life when 3,911 U.S. soldiers have died in the Iraq war. These are men and women who have parents, husbands, wives, children, and countless other loved ones back and home that they will never have the chance to come back home and see again. How is this a value on life? Of this almost 4,000; I think we are up to seven grads just from Buchanan High School where I run a Campus Life club, where they are changing the name of the football stadium to Clovis Memorial Stadium to honor the fallen troops. Tell me how this war is valuing the lives of our brothers and sisters. It also interesting to look at the current toll of 3,911...it reflects back to 911 and the loss that our country experienced on that horrific day that will forever be ingrained in my mind. Lets not forget the 2,973 lives that were lost in that attack.

I think it is time that we as Christians stop pretending like we have it all figured out and that we stop condemning those who may not be voting with the republican party this election. I am not ashamed to say I'm not. And yes, I live in California, yes I am only 24 years old and some may think I'm young and naive, but at least I have decided that I don't have to conform to the majority just to make others happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing well to assess the world. Many truths are out there and many misrepresentations. Often times the squeeky wheel gets the greese and the others get ignored. Which can lead to problems later.

Your friend that mentioned the number killed in the war left off the number potentially saved by the war. That number has not been broadcast on National media because it doesn't make news. You also can't always broadcast the details of those stopped attacks when you are still looking for the ones responsible. It also isn't controversial enough.

The balance of what must we do to be safe and still be a part of the world economy, i.e. not an isolationist country is a question that must be answered. Did Britain asked for the trains to be bombed any more than we asked for the towers to be blown down?

The rational for the United Nations and it's purpose must also be weighted. Why was it created? Why were there key countries with more powerful voting capabilities? What role were they created to fulfill? Have they been fulfilling that role? Have they been true to the reason they were invented?

What does it mean to be a Christian? What does it mean to be a Christian in a free society? What Christian principles does a Christian need to consider when either running for office or voting for someone running for office? Does it matter? Who do you want your president leaning on for wisdom and decision making?

How do you know what George W's character is? How do you know what his current spiritual life is? Have you been a part of the internet prayer group that prays regularly for him to walk a Godly life within the walls of the White House? I know I have not been as faithful as I should be. Has he denied his faith in any of the decisions he has made as President? Did he loose his compasion when he urged American students to give a $1.00 toward Afgan children when the war began? Did he loose his value of women when he allowed Iraqi's the freedom to create a government that gave them the freedom to vote for the first time? Did he loose his value of civilization when we have our troops in harms way helping to rebuild the infastructor of a nation we freed? Did he loose his way when he refused to allow cloning of human embros because of the value he placed on Human life? (Only to have scientist recently discover that there are better ways to accomplish this without killing an unborn child).

Voting for someone because the are Christian...may not be the wisest thing to do. There are several wacky believers out there. But as you teach the balanced life philosophy to students, I think this could be an even better test as you chose.

Mentally...do they have it in them to lead? Are they sharp and focused. Can the multi-task?

Socially...do they use people or relate well with people? What is their track record here. What do those that know them personally say about them. What about their enemies if they have them?

Physically...we have all seen how being President ages someone, are they physically up to the job? If their is a question here, how does their choice of a VP fit with these standards. Oh yea we work with kids so this area is also about sex...are they faithful to their spouse...are they a role model in this area? Would I trust them with my mom or dad, sister or bother?

Spiritually...Do they believe in something out there that is bigger than they are. Do they have the humility to believe that and act on it? For me personally I would want someone with a similiar Christian faith that I could relate to the values of, but whether they were a believer or not I would weigh how they value spiritual people. How do they treat them? How much respect do they have for their Creator whether they have a relationship with Him or not.

Keep blogging...it shows you are pondering all the right questions. I have been there and the fact you are asking the questions shows you are on a journey. I know I have not finished my journey yet either.

Anonymous said...

One more thing...I am sorry to see you bought into voting for GW because you are a Christian...I hope my later blog I sent explains why. Plosy 2008! :+)

Maybe you should blog what it is about the Democratic Party that you like and why it is that you are leaning that way.

I have chosen a party to affiliate with, because of what they have chosen to value as a party. I am not a loyalist and I have voted across party lines more than once.

I loved the Democratic party of the Hubert Humphies and JFK. I just don't see that party in what they look like or value today.

That said, the Rebulican Party is on some pretty thin ice with me right now with some of the choices they have before us.

This Presidential election has me stumped. To think we are voting for a new President and I don't have a clue who I want is frustrating to me. My list of what I don't want is growing, but that isn't good either.

Happy processing!

Michelle & Scott said...

Wow, I should have started reading your blog a long time ago! I too changed from the republican party because of the discrepancy between their words verses their actions. But I have also felt the enormous pressure to vote Republican if you are Christian... this is especially true in Fresno. Thanks for being willing to state your opinions!